Okay, I confess. I’m obsessed with Pokemon Go. In fact, I’ve already caught 20 of the little pocket monsters superimposed on the streets of Western New York. Originally, I was just being a good parent, making sure my kids weren’t into something that would get them into trouble. But, the more I ventured out, the more I saw people of all ages addicted to Pokemon Go. It got me thinking: Could we replicate those magical motivators in Pokemon Go to get people addicted to work?
- A Big Goal: You “Gotta Catch ‘Em All”. It’s a tangible goal that gets everyone excited. Does your team know the big goal they’re all trying to achieve right now?
- Quick Wins: The thrill of each catch, new PokeStops, and PokeGym victories stimulate the reward centers of our brains, sending dopamine raging through our systems and a desire to repeat the experience. Are you creating and celebrating quick wins every day?
- Inclusion: Everyone is playing because no one wants to be left out. What collaborative opportunities are you creating for your team?
- Physical Activity: Get up and go sends endorphins to your cells producing a euphoric feeling. Can you free your team members from their cubicles?
- Pride: Just like people who collect coins or classic cars, everyone is proud to show off their collections. They symbolize accomplishments that makes us feel good. What opportunity can you give your team to show off their collection of talents?
- Challenge: It’s not easy. But, if you stick with it, you get the hang of it. You become attached to your Pokemon. You build a team. You become stronger. Kind of like leadership, huh?
Addiction is really about motivation, rewards, and repetition. Use these six ideas and soon you’ll have an addictive workplace. P.S. Stop by any time. There’s a wild Caterpie in my office!