In a Collaborative Workplace, this environment is only as strong as the relationships that exist between team members. The foundation of those relationships is confidence and trust.
There are five factors that drive confidence and trust among coworkers. They are:
- Competence: coworkers feel confident that others are good at what they do.
- Openness: coworkers feel confident that they can be honest and that others will be open to their ideas and input.
- Reliability: coworkers feel confident that others will deliver what they promise.
- Fairness: coworkers feel confident that they are treated fairly.
- Caring: coworkers feel confident that others care about what’s important to them and consider their well-being before making decisions.
If one or more of these five factors is missing or damaged, it will break down people’s confidence in their coworkers and make it very difficult, if not impossible, to collaborate effectively.
Consider the first confidence factor, competence. If you believe a teammate lacks the necessary skills to do the job, you’re not going to feel confident delegating a task to that person. Or consider the second confidence factor, openness. If you don’t feel you can have an honest conversation with a team member, you’re not likely to have confidence that you can confront tough issues and solve problems together.
What about reliability? If a team member doesn’t always follow through, how can you trust that person to meet an important deadline? When it comes to fairness, if you’re not sure a teammate will behave even-handedly and operate in good faith, you’ll always be watching your back. And finally, if team members don’t seem to care, how can you be confident that they will always do their best to further the team’s goals and objectives rather than just their own?
I’ll spend the next several posts talking about confidence, for instance, do you know how confident people are in you? Or, have you stopped to think about your confidence in your coworkers? Be sure to stay tuned and get a boost of confidence as a result!
Download our FREE Confidence Breakthrough Tool at www.collaborationbreakthrough.com.
Let us know how it works for you. After all, what have you got to lose?
Buy Amazon #1 Best Seller The Collaboration Breakthrough at www.CollaborationBreakthrough.com